Pongal is the harvest festival of Tamil Nadu. In 2016 Pongal will be celevrated from 14th January 2016 to 17th January 2016.
Iniya tHamizh makkale,
Thangal anaivarukkum iniya pongal nal vaazhthukkal
On the day of Pongal, sweet rice known as ‘Pongal’ is cooked in a new earthenware pot which is placed where the puja is to be performed. Fresh turmeric and ginger are tied around this pot.
Pongal 2016 Special Recipes :
Khara Pongal Recipe :
1 Cup Moong Daal
1 Cup Rice
10 – 12 Number of Cashewnuts
1 tsp of Cumin Seeds
1 tsp of Pepper Powder
3 4 numbers of Chopped Green Chilli (depending on size and taste)
2 tbps of Dry Coconut Flakes
1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder
Salt as per taste
3 to 3 1/2 cups of Water
How to Cook Khara Pongal :
- Take a cooker and heat two tbsp of oil in it.
- Wash moong daal and the rice and keep them separately.
- Roast cashew in the oil and keep aside.
- Now, add mustard seeds and cummin seeds in the oil.
- When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add green chilli and fry for a few seconds.
- Now, add the moong daal and fry for a minute.
- Add water and the washed rice.
- Also add coconut, salt and turmeric powder.
- Close the cooker and allow it to whistle thrice.
- After the cooker cools down, add the pepper powder, cashews and chopped cilantro leaves.
Other varities of Pongal include Venn Pongal, Sarkarai Pongal, Chakara Pongal, Sweet Pongal Recipe, Rava Pongal, and Rice Pongal
Ney Payasam / Aravana Payasam Recipe :
Payasam is a traditional dish in the Indian subcontinent, a rice pudding typically made by boiling rice with milk and sugar. It is often flavored with cardamoms.
1 Cup of Rice
2 1/2 cups of Jaggery
4 tbps of Ghee
4 numbers of Cardamom
1 pin head of Edible camphor
Few Raisins and Cashewnuts
2 tsps of Copra (Dried coconut) chopped
How to Cook Ney Payasam / Aravana Payasam :
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes and then drain.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the rice in it.
- Cook rice in pressure cooker with 1 cup of water until three whistles.
- In the mean while disslove jaggery in a cup of warm water and strain.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the same pan and blend in the cooked rice without mashing.
- Add the filtered jaggery and start cooking.
- Add ghee little by little until the payasam thickens.
- The jaggery syrup should coat each and every grain of rice.
- Fry cashew nuts, raisins and the copra pieces in one more tbsp of ghee and add to the payasam.
- Mix in the powdered cardamom and edible camphor.